19 November 2020

still green in the cold

A walk around the yard, pleasing to see what is still green even after we had a night so chilly. My favorite right now is the stinking hellebore- nothing seems to bother it, and its appearance is so unusual. I must get more come spring for this hillside!
My beautyberry dropped all its leaves, but the berries are still colorful
On the other side, some of the yellow salvia still has foliage and the 'autumn joy' sedums are a tad wilted with the flowers gone darker
but the nice lambs-ears still look great under shadow of gladiola leaves (which I haven't cut back yet, as they're still green too)
After the first two weeks I didn't water my new bugleweed plants any, and kind of forgot to look for them when leaf cover started to conceal. A peek today- all the ones I found look just fine.
Here's that plant I can forage come up again- purple deadnettle
Lovage has gone limp and fallen over, yet still green
And finally my black and blue salvia wilted. Funny that I'm actually glad of this. I cut back the stems this afternoon, and will dig and move it tomorrow when it's warmer out so easier to work. My hands got chilled today with all the pulling and cutting.

No comments: