20 November 2020

leaves and dirt

I ordered some more 'garden fencing' and had it delivered- it's four feet high 14-guage wire with dark green plastic coating. Used it to contain my leaf mulch pile which looks very imposing next to the bayberry shrub. I hope the neighbors don't find it an eyesore. It feels like garden riches, to me. 
Meanwhile the beds are even emptier- 
I took out the last wilted marigold plant today, spread the final portion of compost over the beds, and then layered with leaf mulch. Lettuces are the brightest green now 
Chard to the left of them- which look very few as we ate some recently in handmade tortillas
Using the compost I'd stored in the metal bin under the deck frees it up for making more- which I'm glad of when the weather is colder, wet or snowy in winter so I don't have to walk all the way across the yard. Plus my regular bin in the rear area is full up top now after all the cleanup I did this week. I layered the bottom of the newly-emptied metal bin with dry leaves and the marigold trimmings. It always amuses me to see little weeds sprouted and emerging from the air holes in the bin sides:
I smirk at them for a few days and then pull them out.

No comments: