29 October 2020

some compost notes

Mainly, that I tossed two houseplants in the bin. That haven't done well for a long time now. A very sad striped spider plant
and the little pilea which withered to near nothing. I don't know where I went wrong with these two, but if I try again will be with a new, healthier plant. Don't think I can bring them back from this.
Also, when turning my worm bin last week I couldn't help noticing a lot of the worms were pale and lethargic. The bin had dried out a bit and not been fed in a while. I'm sure the population will bounce back now that I've refreshed their bedding, moistened it, and am trying to feed more regularly. But when I saw someone nearby was giving away worms from her vermicompost bin to downsize, I thought it a good chance to boost my own. So I got some. She had four or five large plastic bins going. Gave me two good-sized scoops of worms (with bedding/foodstuff mixed in). May the red wigglers be happy and find new companions here.

No comments: