17 July 2020

fishes update

My angelfish completed a second round of kanaplex. The fins are all growing back nicely. Still red around the pectoral joint. She comes eagerly to the front glass when I approach the tank now, and sometimes goes so avidly for food that water splashes out of the tank.

My fry are growing, growing. I'm feeding them four times a day now, usually gold pearls or pulverized regular foods but once a day the first bites still. There are a few fry half the size of the others, they can't eat the gold pearls yet. One looked like it had half its caudal fin missing with white on the edge- fin rot? I quick did a water test- nitrates below five so that's fine- and a three gallon water change carefully siphoning all the bottom. Also removed a few of the oak leaves that are starting to break down. Later in the day I can still identify that smaller fry with half a tail fin- but the whiteness is gone so hope it's better.

Guppies- all the same. No problems there.

Laddie looked so poorly most of the week, I was seriously considering giving him clove oil or the brick. He floated at surface, barely moving, didn't eat for days on end. Day before I was alarmed to see a guppy picking at his side, and he didn't react for a moment, then moved off but slowly. He looked more alert later in the day, tried to eat but spit it out repeatedly and then ignored food. But then he went for a snail. And later I heard him making that clacking noise, saw him gulping air.

Yesterday, surprised to see he greets me at the front of the tank, swims back and forth a bit, avidly ate omega one betta flake. I was so glad to see him eating I tried to spot-feed him more flake after the guppies and minnows had got their share- placing individual flake with tweezers right in front of his nose. The smaller fishes still grabbed some, but Perry darted and snapped up the food with eagerness I haven't seen in a long time. I spot-fed him flake several times through the day, happy to see him eating again, and also today is the same. He's eager to eat, he looks interested in things again, he's moving around the tank more not sitting in one spot for hours looking comatose. Even has a bit more color.

Has he beaten whatever was making him feel unwell?

No comments: