10 July 2020

extras in the garden-

the plants I don't eat, here for decoration, insect control or lovely scent. Cosmos! There's more white ones, but I like the pinks.
Rue is still lovely- blue color, pungent odor
This limelight coleus is near the deck stairs, across from tomato bed.
Other bright coleus is in corner behind the beans row
Clematis is blooming again! but some of the flowers look rather sorry
Seedheads of the pink one have gone from golden to fuzzy
More sweet peas!
So pretty- and the scent is even lovelier
Some of them are forming seed pods.
I cut down most of the borage in the bed of sugar snap peas and pole beans. Missed this one and now it's trailing over the edge.
Marigolds filling in their spot
In one area off to the side, I pulled up grass from a patch of moss, and planted zebrina seed in the gaps. I think this is one of those seedlings coming up. It's Malva sylvestris 'Zebrina' aka hollyhock mallow, another new one for me this year.
I also finally planted seed for cardinal climber several weeks ago- rather late in the season but tried anyway. The seedlings came up funny pointy shapes-
Week later- now sending out true leaves and tendrils to hang on
Here's two in containers that are kind of odd couple- 
semi-succulent ice plant with its flat, round, light-colored leaves
and narrow-leaved, tall aromatic hyssop
I like to brush the hyssop with my hand as I go around it back up the stairs. It's scent supposedly deters some pests from the garden- the squirrels have stayed away from my tomatoes so far this year, and maybe this is one of the reasons.

No comments: