25 May 2020

garden cooking

I learned how to make green tortillas! Have done tortillas from scratch several times now (rolling them flat neatly is still the trickiest part) but this is the first time incorporated greens. In lieu of spinach, I used leaf beet chard. You steep the greens in hot water for several minutes (I used sixteen leaves, next time will do twenty as my husband wants them even greener), then purée in food processor and add to the flour mixture by hand. I also found how to make relatively even-sized balls of the dough- form into one large ball, then cut in half, halves again, until have as many wedges as you want tortillas, then reshape them into smaller balls.
I then pat them into flat, palm-sized circles and chill in the fridge for twenty minutes.
Roll out and cook on a dry hot cast-iron skillet.
I was pleased this meal had five garden ingredients- bay leaf and thyme flavoring the lentils, lettuce leaf, chard in the tortillas, and we had tokyo bekana flower scapes on the side (not pictured)- sautéed lightly in butter with salt. Which tasted rather like broccolini.
Here's the green tortilla lentil wrap
There was a bit of rice and lentils left over, next day I just used a few slo-bolt lettuce leaves (nice and large) to make a wrap:
Yums! In the growing heat, I find my lettuce tastes best if I pick it in cooler morning, wash and rinse, then lay over paper towel still damp, and put in a lidded container in the fridge (or on a plate with tight plastic wrap). After a few hours, the lettuce is nice and crisped up. If cut in the evening, I leave them in the fridge overnight. Great taste again.

No comments: