09 January 2020

Laddie strikes again

I first notice two days ago: Laddie tries to eat but then spits out the flake. He looks normal, plump even, but just sits in a corner or in one spot at the surface, not moving. Then I saw there's only five minnows. I checked every time I was near the tank yesterday and today- I'm pretty sure Laddie ate one and is now uncomfortable from being overfull. In fact, might have caused himself a blockage, he seems to have a bulge at the vent. I fed peas to all the fishes yesterday but Laddie hasn't moved anything. I didn't think he would try to eat an adult minnow; I guess you should never underestimate the greed of a predatory fish. So this isn't going to work long term, unless I had such a large group of minnows in there that Laddie could pick off a few now and then and their numbers would stay up from spawning, but I don't feel like getting more just for that. There's three guppies in there now- one smaller that I had thought would be a paradise-fish snack, but it hid and survived. Now that the two larger guppies are in there, the third one feels braver and comes out in the open sometimes. My youngest says forcefully that "Laddie is a meanie!" and I should get rid of him.

No comments: