18 January 2020

against the cold

We're supposed to get winter weather today- a several inches of snow then hours of freezing rain. I tried to shelter some plants in the garden and yard, ones that are more tender or new. It was late, already freezing temps by the time I got outside, so don't know if it made any difference but in case buffering them from the layer of ice would help, I did it anyway. Put a wire circle around the camellia, filled the bottom half of it with dry leaves, threw an old sheet over and heaped more leaves around the base. The garden already has a thick layer of leaf mulch but I piled more on top of the rue, chard bed and the perennial herbs. Heaped leaves on the black-and-blue salvia, scattered some over the stinking hellebores and lady's mantle, tucked an extra inch around the mountain laurel. That's all I did. Everything else will have to survive as it can. Snow is falling before the ice rain which will blanket and insulate so I suppose they will all be okay anyway.

No comments: