14 December 2019

small fish update

My two guppy moms are about to have their third batch of fry. Here's the last one from the previous batch- you can just see it middle of the photo below the broader fake stem plant leaf:
They're getting very square in the belly again, but dart around excited when I'm close to the tank so all my photo attempts came out a blur:
I did some cleanup in the window tank recently. Took the last sheet of plastic film off, to let more light in now it's winter. I hadn't realized how dim the tank was getting until I saw how much brighter it looks now. My six white clouds still look well- one is always very plump (front top of photo) I kept hoping they'd spawn and I'd get fry but now I just think this one is a pig or bully and eats more than its fair share.
I started adding floaters back in. Topside has been very bare lately- especially since I decided to plant the elodea stems against the rear glass. Salvinia minima suddenly took off in the guppy tank and completely covered the surface, so I thinned that out and dumped a bunch back in here, hoping that whatever killed it off before is no longer a problem. Also started thinning out hornwort weekly from the angelfish tank, likewise put those trimmings in here. I thought the hornwort would melt or shed a lot (large temperature difference) but needle drop was minimal. And what do you know, my paradise fish quit sitting on the substrate and is now moving about the tank again, or hanging near the surface under some floaters. I think maybe he was feeling exposed and thus hanging low, rather than being sick all this time. If that's the case, glad I didn't put him through the stress of a needless medication dose.

No comments: