24 August 2019

improved?

My bean plants have some healthy-looking leaves now. I've continued to toss soapy dishwater over them, picked off and squashed a few stink bugs this past week. It seems to be helping!
Sickly leaves. Going to remove more of them, now there's good leaves to absorb the sun.
Tomatoes have also sprung up some healthier-looking growth:
Compare to older leaves:
Here's an older, sick-looking leaf plucked, next to newer foliage. I've been dousing the tomato plants with soapy water too, cut off a lot of older anemic-looking leaves, and fed them some vermicompost. Not sure if the compost or the soap made the most difference- I did see the new growth in the week after I fed them, but still hard to tell.
This year I had used old soil in the pots, tried to sterilize it with heat, mixed new compost in. I don't think it gave me as healthy of plants as when I used brand-new soil every year. Going back to that.

No comments: