31 May 2019

in the shrimp bowl

My shrimp bowl looks a bit plainer. The sponge piece kept drifting around, sometimes sinking, and I'd rather not see it much- so I tied it with a short piece of monofilament line to a suction cup, now it stays near the filter uplift- reducing splash out onto the tabletop,
and mostly hidden from the front by the hornwort floaters.
Some of the mermaid weed started decaying, other parts of the stem sent out roots from the nodes. I cut it in half, discarded the rotting parts, and tucked the healthy pieces back into corners. Temporarily shorter now. Shrimps are thriving! I feed them once or twice a week- a bit of green (blanched lettuce, celery leaf or pea) or powder swiped off the inside wall of the fish flake can. That's it. I'm very pleased this little bowl seems to do fine with all seven shrimps, it's remained cycled and has no issues so far.
I had to replant a few of the rotala stems- the shrimps tend to pull them up if they're really going for some food bit they smell that fell down there. They're as persistent as squirrels!

No comments: