30 April 2019

stupendous

the garden has been growing. I've been out there almost every day and no extra time to sit down and show the photos- until now taking a break from midday heat. This spring I dug into the garden not only my own compost, but also some "soil ammendment" a friend gave me (leftover after she planted some shrubs). Well I think I overdid it some- a lot of the plants have grow hugely, and faster than I recall ever before- but are somewhat lacking in taste. The lettuce bed is really full- but my favorite light ruffly black-seeded simpson doesn't have the sweetness I recall from past years.
(No, I have not made any progress rebuilding the sides of the beds)
Collard leaves are now large as my hand
So are the arugula-
and already bolting into pinwheel flowers
Peas are starting to climb their little fence. Rear row lags behind- maybe it doesn't get as much light.
fordhook giant chard has come up!
Beets look promising
Turnips!
I dug out a lot of borage seedlings- here's one in front of the leeks.
Also pulled a ton of volunteer tomato, dill, cosmos and echinacea seedlings. I can't identify these. Their seedling leaves reminded me of basil, but the true leaf is different?
Nepitella is grown enough maybe I could start to eat it
Sage looks like it's doing fine now!
Lemon balm is so thick I am going to start using it fresh for tea soon- and compost what's left of it frozen from last summer.
rear view of it all:

No comments: