12 August 2018

take two

on my 33 gal window tank- took it in for a replacement, new tank checks out fine. Ready for a lot of photos? When I first got the replacement tank home, double-checked it was still level on the stand, wiped it down (dusty) and filled with half saved tank water, half new (a lot of the saved water was very dirty/foul from the disturbed substrate) and put all the plants in- just let them float or sink as will. Left it that way for hours, to verify no leaks (or air pockets showing up in seams). Crypt cordata had a small stone tied to a few roots, so it was a sinker:
Just because I could, I took a photo from underneath the tank, looking up thru the momentarily-bare bottom at a bunch of bolbitis fern. Bolbitis always looks rather dull or brown when backlit in the tank, nice to see that most of it is actually still green!
After half a day, when I was satisfied with the tank's integrity, I added the substrate and put the filter back in (they'd been sharing space in a bucket). Then started planting. Here's that same crypt cordata with its roots covered.
Results, after hours of work:
Its dang hard to get a decent picture of this tank. For most of these photos, I put a temporary backdrop of cardboard panels on. They weren't tall enough to block the window so I propped them up on some kids' building blocks. I remove all pale objects that show up as obvious reflections in the tank glass- photos on the wall, pieces of paper on the table, etc. Drape large dark blue quilt and a dark beach towel over the coffee table and a side chair that has too much clutter, causing more reflections. Block more glare from windows on the sides. Put a dark coat on backwards so it covers my arms, hands, neck from also showing up as reflections. And I still end up photoshoping out a few reflections after processing (only the really noticeable ones that detract from overall picture).

Anyway- here's my crinum replanted, in window light-
and with backdrop-
The layout is more or less the same. I moved the sticks around. I took Lady's (female paradise fish) ceramic cave and took Perry's windelov ferns. Tied ferns on the cave and moved it into the tank.
Most of the taller crypts are replanted here, short end behind the cave- I unthinkingly mixed some crypt becketti petchii in with the undulata. Oops. Wasn't looking close enough. Might separate them out later.
Crypt becketti replanted in the foreground-
Vallisneria are mostly all on the other end where the light is better. I noticed they weren't too happy before, on the side with the filter.
Another clump of java fern windelov I pulled from Perry's bin, in front of the ludwigia thicket.
Ludwigia repens var arcuata has done remarkably well with the changes, btw. I think it's happier in the unheated, window-lit tank. Can't get a good photo, though- awkward angle.
Pic of that short end- vallisneria with ludwigia behind.
I was really happy to see my aponogeton capuronii is no worse for wear, either. I expected to remove a lot of dead leaves when doing this tank-change, but the apono only needed two culled.
Up top: salvinia minia is looking fine- only a few brown leaves
Hornwort is starting to grow back
All the sweet potato vine cuttings now have strong white roots
Full angle shots- from the right side:
and the left:
View from my couch- with the backdrop still on
But this is how my camera takes it, with the usual setup (no backdrop, just three layers of translucent plastic- two on the back of the tank and one on the lower window pane).
Almost ready for the fishes! It's a good sign, I think, that my nerite snail (I forgot it was in here) crawled back down from the water line and is exploring at substrate level. I'm going to move this snail either into the 20H or the 45, though. It won't do the cold of winter.

No comments: