05 August 2018

shrimp catch and other stuff

The 20H had not quite been cycled, but I had the fishes back in so I was doing daily wc to remove nitrites, while the amano shrimps were in the betta tank where its safer. 20 stabilized day before yesterday, so I caught the shrimps and moved them back. Except I missed one. Saw it this morning. It has a ton of hiding places in the betta tank, but I found that if I just put a small pellet of food in the net, let it sit on the bottom and wait patiently a few minutes, the shrimp will walk right in.
My serpaes are a little worse for wear with bitten fins they look a bit shabby now. They seem to have rearranged their hierarchy during the disruption- Dot and Truck are now the untouched fish. (Most of them have reached their adult coloring, I have trouble telling Spark apart from Diamond sometimes). I feel bad the plants are so sparse, I might put a few plastic plants in there to give them more sense of security, while the crypts are regrowing. And yeah, the old media is still throughout the tank- now that it's finally cycled I will start removing a portion every other week or so.
I don't have a light on this tank yet, and I haven't fed the plants, either- surprisingly they seem to be doing fine so far. I would not have expected it, but my dwarf sword is the only one not melting and shedding leaves.

No comments: