28 June 2018

roadside milkweed

Last week we took a drive to West Virginia. I noticed on the way, in roadsides and medians a distinctive plant with broad leaves opposite and angled up, making attractive v patterns, and pink clusters of flowers. I also noticed more far orange 'ditch lilies' than I recall seeing before. I thought, has someone planted milkweed on the roadsides? The distinctive plants diminished greatly in number once we crossed the state line out of Virginia.

Once home again I looked it up and found that someone made a motion this year, to reduce the amount of mowing done alongside highways, to allow the milkweed to grow. For the monarchs. I noticed right away there are also patches in my town left to grow. I'm sure some people don't like it that pokeweed will spread and the tall weedy patches harbor ticks (but they're in areas where people probably shouldn't be walking, anyway). But I'm glad to see the milkweed blooming. Also realized the one plant I purchased isn't the attractive kind. I got a swamp milkweed; I'd rather have the common milkweed. Next spring I'll go earlier to the nursery and see if that have the other type.

I was sad a few days ago to see a monarch flit through my yard, but not pause anywhere. I didn't have any flowers for it. My one milkweed has faded, and the tithonia never yet matured.

1 comment:

Jeane said...

Somehow, I don't think it's a coincidence that the same year the roadsides areas were let to grow wild, I am seeing a significant increase in the numbers of fireflies! They used to blink here and there across the yard in early evening. Now I see their lights up in the tree tops as well, and far more across the lawn. It feels magical, and I am heartened.