28 May 2018

last planting!

I'm exhausted from all the work in the past few days, to get the last young plants into the ground before a row of rainy days. My six little columbines went into a shady spot around the tree, several feet from the garden. In case it acts as "catch plant" again. I put plastic bottle cloches over them temporarily, so I don't forget and step on them (they're that small) and so the heavy rain doesn't beat them down.
Last set I almost gave up on- two trays stuffed with nicotiana seedlings.
They don't usually transplant well so this was a risk but would die left in the seedling trays, of course. I teased them out gently as I could and planted in cool of dusk and watered immediately.
I set out over eighty seedlings. Some damaged in handling and composted. Others have wilted already. But if even half of them take, and self-seed for next year, I'll have another barren spot of the back yard covered in pretty plants instead of eroding down into the neighbor's yard.

No comments: