05 November 2017

window tank update

The 'trident' java fern I left floating in here had a few baby plants, I went to cut just those pieces off-
and found a regular row of nodules on the underside of the leaf, where more young plants will sprout. All over! I'm tired of seeing a large leaf drifting in the center of the tank, so I cut it up into segments around the sprouting plantlets and left them to float while they develop.
Anubias I moved in here seem to be doing fine- new leaf looks okay.
Windelov ferns as usual, doing great. Cut out a few older, deteriorating leaves but there's plenty new ones.
Behind them on the driftwood can see the various java ferns. They're not doing so great. Older leaves all melted and some new fiddleheads were coming up, but I don't think they look quite right.
Little wall of crypt retrospiralis and vallisneria in the back corner, coming along. The vals seem happier with the low temps and and lack of ferts in this tank than the crypts. But I do see newer leaves growing on the crypts among those that are melting, and a lot of new roots have emerged too.
Found that tiny bit of crypt root that was adrift in here since some changes in the past few weeks. Tucked it back into substrate nearer the foreground where I can see it. I can't tell if it's a bit of crypt parva, or crypt wilisii. You can see through these pics the subwassertang is kinda scraggly now. The terminal ends of it thinner, not as wide and it's not spreading nearly as much. I think because of the cold.
and here's the main occupant. I am starting to wonder if I have a female paradise fish. Aside from a small trailing tip on top of the caudal fin, there's no sign of the longer tail a male develops. Or the brighter colors. But I've only had Perry two months, so time may well tell...
I like this full-tank shot better because you can see Perry in it, if it weren't for the presence of my arms...

No comments: