04 June 2015

plant response

Well, something has changed in the small aquarium since I added a few handfuls of STS. The biggest anubias has put out a new leaf, unfurling rapidly (although perhaps it was ready to do that anyway).
The java fern leaf veins have gone darker- I think this indicates Mg deficiency. I'm waiting a bit to see if it resolves as the plants adjust to change- but a lot of people add epsom salt for this and report marked improvement in their java ferns, so maybe I'll try that...  I've been checking the pH every day, it went from 7.6 to 7.4 over several days, down to 7.2 yesterday so I added a little bit of baking soda and now its 76. again. Not good to have it bouncing around- "chasing pH" is one of the mismanagement things you can do with your aquarium. But I don't intend to add a lot more extra substrate to this tank, and I've also read that over time (a few months) the STS gets saturated with as much carbonates as it can absorb, then acts as a buffer. Which is what I want (addition to the benefit of holding nutrients). So hopefully my pH will stop climbing every time I do a water change (tapwater is 7.4-7.6 usually but for some reason my tanks are always near or just above 8.0- I never did figure out why). Meanwhile Oliver looks content, it even seems that I see him out and about more than usual, the snails more active too. Perhaps they feel better with the lower pH? We'll see. Continue monitoring...
Oh, and I've removed the colored background from this aquarium, too. With the darker substrate it looked too dark- needed to brighten up.

No comments: