07 March 2015

maintenance report

I look forward to fridays now, when I allow myself to put my hands in the tank. No trimming or removal to do in the 10gal this week. I noted that pH is 8.0 again in both tanks (why?) and the nitrate level surprised me- in the 20 it's gone down a bit, to 30ppm (that's right, means the plants are using stuff up, I'm not putting too much in anymore) but in the 10gal still 40. I expected it to be lower, hm. So on the smaller tank I did not dose any KN03 this week and its measure of K2S04 to make up for it; in the 20gal I dosed same as last week (KN03 roughly half a smidgen).
Did not move or cut back any plants this day, but put in root tabs and cut out (as usual) a few older, dying or algae-coated leaves. Aponogenton needed quite a few removed- but I don't worry as they are growing new leaves at a good rate. The crypts seem to have rosier undersides again.
I have noticed something about the java fern. They seem to cling more readily when have tight, close contact to the surface. I never manage to tie them down tight enough- probably mentioned before it's very hard to tie wet thread that tries to float. So tiny rubber bands work best- I use the ones off the fish transport bags. This java plant on the left is clinging by itself now- the other two I had to fasten down anew (were held by pebbles but kept coming free). Javas in the smaller tank still not doing great- trying to figure that out as well...
Problem is, when the rubber band starts to disintegrate, I have to get that out of the tank. This week I saw a few barbs struggling to pass thick, white poo and thought they had parasites again. Then I saw one trying to eat a thick, pale strand and realized it was a bit of rubber band. Searched for the piece that had loosened off the log, and retrieved it. My fish are small enough I worry they could plug up their guts, if it doesn't pass through!

No comments: