01 February 2015

aquarium plants

I put a new cover on the 20gal- full glass and clear plastic skirt, so that more light passes through. With the original cover's black plastic lid and skirt, light was in a main strip down the center of tank, shaded significantly in front and back. I had been thinking of bumping up the daylight hours a bit, but then realized a glass cover would raise light levels some without increasing hours yet. (The skirt does not quite reach the back edge of my tank- an eighth inch gap- so I fastened on a strip of packing tape folded over itself. It doesn't give more support but does block water evaporating.)

A few more plant pictures I took recently- beautiful apono:
Crypt wendtii
and its offspring:
Rotala indica:
Watersprite growing growing growing
The really exciting thing is the new apono flower stalk. I swear you can see that thing growing. In one day it went from half the tank height to breaking the surface; overnight it has stretch across the width of the tank at surface and is pushing the floating watersprite bunch into the corner. I can't wait to see the flower.

No comments: