01 July 2014

disease

It appears I have brought disease over with the herbs. Or maybe it was in the dirt in their pots; I had pulled out the dead echinacea root remains, dried stems of mimosa and hibiscus but forgot to replace the soil. Now my Mints are all looking sickly, the leaves mottled, yellowing and falling off.
However the cuttings in water jars seem fine. So I am pulling out what's in the pots and waiting to replant the cuttings when they root (with new soil), hoping that might avoid the pathogen spreading.
Also my lovely Ginger is showing signs of ill again, and the Chard- just when I was about to eat it-
looks sick as well. Close inspection reveals the culprit: spider mites. Why am I not surprised. I've doused the leaves heavily with soapy water, but probably will have to throw out the plants. Bah.
Today there was a bit of improvement: no more bitty mites crawling around. I cut the plants back severely, removing every leaf so disfigured I'd never think of eating it. Drenched with more soaping water, hope for healthy regrowth.

No comments: