02 May 2014

aquarium plants

Today was a major change-out for some plants; don't want to disrupt things anymore so probably the last time I will add plants in a long while. The plants came into today- more Aponogeton Crispus. Quite a number were small specimens, and some all the leaves browned. Only the largest fullest plants had a significant number of leaves still green. But I think the company compensated for that; there was one extra plant included.
To prepare the plants I rinsed them under running tapwater (chlorine) then dipped in conditioned tank water to rinse again. Next snipped the roots off evenly -about a third of the length- it stimulates growth and makes a lot easier to handle in planting as well. Removed the worst-looking foliage. I did have to trim off quite a lot.
From the tank pulled out all the Vallisneria, gave it to an acquaintance who also has an aquarium (mollies).

Here's the tank just after all the Val was removed, water level still low from the wc.
I have Aponogeton all across the back of the aquarium now, just like I wanted. They look really brown in the tank, especially next to the new leaves of the established plant- but still stunning in my estimation. Center one here is the largest, nicest specimen with most green remaining.
I moved a few other plants around (hoping this doesn't throw them into shock) and feel like the tank is finally approaching the look I've been imagining.
The smaller, straight-edged Amazon Sword are paired in front center now; I hadn't noticed before that one grew slightly larger than the other. Had a nice robust root system going, feel a bit bad for moving it just when it apparently was starting to take off. But now I'm not going to touch anything again. (Aside from neccessary trimming)
I like to look at the plants from above sometimes, too:
My Cryptocoryne looks leggy compared to photos I see online. I think its affected by the lighting. I wish it had a low dense growth habit but I am pleased nonetheless; I bought this plant because it can adapt to low light levels, and gives my aquatic environment some variety. I'm starting to love its blue-green hues, "hammered" leaf texture, pinkish stems.
Anubias is going strong, and looks lovely now that the Otos have begun to clean the broad leaves off. Roots going straight down striking into the gravel now; one even seems to have tunneled all the way through the driftwood.
I am very pleased with the Aponogeton purchase. Confident that as the dulled foliage dies back, new green shoots will spring up as the first plant proved to grow well.
Also enjoy very much now the variety of shapes, textures and colors of all the different plants in my tank. I think I have eight species now (not counting the algae, of which there are at least three types!)
The fish are interested in the new plants as well.

No comments: