01 March 2014

seven

A fish has disappeared. I count every day when they gather at the surface to feed, but they dart in and out so quick, around each other and through the floating plants, sometimes it's hard to be sure. The last few days I was uncertain of the count, so during tank maintenance yesterday briefly netted the fish out.
Definitely one missing. I searched through the aquarium- under driftwood, in corners, through the plants, nothing. I'm baffled how it could have vanished so quickly- perhaps the other fish ate it? and also concerned because I don't know why it died. If it was sick, the others show no signs that I recognize. Needless to say, I'm not getting the otocinclus I was planning for. Must wait awhile and be sure I don't have some disease in there that would kill off more fish... I checked water parameters again and all is fine- Ammonia and Nitrites 0, Nitrates less than 5, pH 8.2. That was high again, but it dropped after I changed the water. I don't like that the pH has been rising again, but again don't know the cause.

The fish look so much smaller viewed from above.

No comments: