28 February 2013

repotting and rooting

I took this bunch of plants and gave most of them new growing containers.
Some were destined for an exchange; so to make them look more attractive and use the pots I got in swapping, I repotted all the little Palms into groupings of three. Kind of ironic that I had spread them all out and now grouped them up again. Well, at least they're not as crowded as when they were forty in a six-inch pot! (I still have four pots of Palms for myself- which is made up of fifteen little individual plants).
This smaller pair of Crotons has been looking miserable for a while.
I cut the leggy stem off of the better-looking, larger one and stuck it in a jar of water to grow new roots. Then I can replant it and have the base of the foliage closer to the soil, it will look better.

The smaller one, with misshapen leaves, got discarded. Kind of a shame as it has lots of great-looking roots, and is growing new leaves faster than the other; but the distorted leaf margins make me think it has a disease, possibly still spider mites. So I tossed it.
The remaining plant looks quite small now sitting next to the bigger, healthy one in its SIP.
Also potted up to go were this rooted Pothos cutting and the baby Spider Plant. More pictures to come.

No comments: