02 February 2013

okra stew

I finally tried to make something with my frozen, home-grown Okra. This was a few weeks ago. I thought I would make more dishes and have a post featuring several, but the first was not much success and hasn't encouraged me to try more.

The recipe I tried was for a shrimp-okra stew. The first step involved cooking the okra in a pot with some oil, when it got all glutinous and stringy. Did not look appealing. Addition of tomatoes, other vegetables and shrimp failed to make it more appealing. I think it might have been palatable with more spices, but as is
the older kid refused to touch it, the younger ate a lot the first day but refused it the second, and by the third time I pulled out leftovers (very little having been consumed the first two nights) I could only pick out the shrimp, sautee them afresh in butter, and discard the main bulk of the stew.

We don't like okra, sad to say. The taste, or the texture. I might try it once again simply breaded and fried this time, but don't have much hope for it.

2 comments:

chrisa511 said...

Sorry y'all didn't like it!! I love okra and shrimp..I would've eaten it if I was there :p

Jeane said...

I think it really needed chili powder, and I simply didn't have any. And I think we just don't like okra- it must be an acquired taste. But is is a beautiful plant in the garden!