02 March 2012

more starts

I've started a few more trays of seeds: Okra of two kinds, Ancho Peppers (the first batch of those didn't germinate) and a lot of Tithonias. Can't have a garden without Tithonias to bring in the hummingbirds.
I also planted outside. Even though it's rainy and the ground saturated. I'm antsy to get some spring crops in the ground. Managed to prepare a plot and a half and mix in compost before the rain really started. Planted one plot two-thirds with Beets, one-third with Turnips. The other spot was for swiss chard but the rain and baby cries came before I got those seeds in. Next time.
I never ate turnips until this past month. Friend with seed swap sent me some, and I wanted to try them. Cooked a few dishes with turnips for my family these past few weeks, just to be sure we would eat them, before I start growing them! I really like braised turnips and brussel sprouts together, it turns out.

These seeds are from three sources- the swiss chard I saved off last year's plants, the beets I bought last spring in the store, the turnips were from a seed swap.

2 comments:

chrisa511 said...

Oh yay!!! You started some fun stuff :D I LOVE turnips cooked the right way!!!! They're delicious with a pot roast in the oven or just smothered with pork chops or in a vegetable soup! As for the ancho peppers, I was CONVINCED mine weren't going to germinate and then after THREE WEEKS they came up!! I think they just take awhile. Hope they come up for you!

Jeane said...

Thanks to you, I'm eating turnips!! Ooh, it sounds good with pork chops, I'll have to try that. And I was just planning to put some in a beef stew this week.

I'll remember to be patient for the peppers to come up. All my other peppers grew but not those so I'm trying them again.