29 February 2012

peas and peas and peas

Well, I think I've outdone myself with the Peas here. I simply planted every single pea that came in the seed packet, and when time came to move them from trays into first pots I had a problem: not enough tubes! So for the first time ever I went to the store and bought biodegradable seedling fiber pots. I got fifty of the smallest size, forty of the next, and ten circular ones. And even that wasn't enough. I just have too many plants right now.

I counted them, after potting up all my Peas. A hundred and twenty. I'm happy to think I might realize my goal of blanching and freezing enough garden peas that we don't have to buy any before next growing season, but unsure if all the plants will fit in my space! I'm going to give them the entire kitchen-window bed, that runs the whole length of the house. Don't know if it will be enough.
They do look incredibly healthy, though. The color is wonderful, the leaves unspreading fast. I've weeded and turned over all the soil in their bed, so now just waiting for a sunny day to rake in compost, stake twigs and set the plants out!

4 comments:

Rowena said...

Not enough tubes! Same problem here although your post just reminded me to plant some pea seeds now. Love seeing all the new growth...I am so ready for gardening season.

Jeane said...

Me too. I usually hoard up all the cardboard tubes from paper towels and toilet paper, all summer and winter until spring when I use them for seedlings. Just forgot this year to save enough.

chrisa511 said...

Fun!! You're like a pea farmer over there…going to give green giant a run for their money :p

Jeane said...

Ha ha. My parents come to visit and say "look at Jeane's backyard farm."