22 January 2012

tucked in

Glad I had my perennial garden plants well-mulched, even though it was getting so mild spring-like weather before yesterday's snow. I took this photo of the Garlic patch just a few days ago, so pleased at their lush growth
and then they got snowed on! I counted them; there are about forty garlic plants. Some of the leaf mulch had drifted off and I didn't quite get around to recovering it before the snow fell. I might loose some plants off the edge from the freezing cold, but that will be alright. Even twenty or thirty garlics should be enough for our year's use!
The Strawberry leaves are still just poking a few out above the surface; Rhubarb is completely covered in white. I hope they all enjoy their short winter sleep!

2 comments:

chrisa511 said...

*sigh* I've never had great luck with garlic. I try every year! My strawberries don't look too great either…I have them in astrawberry planter right now…can't WAIT until I can actually build gardens!!

Jeane said...

what kind of garlic have you tried to grow? I just buy an organic garlic head at the store, split it up into individual cloves, push them into the soil in fall, and mulch. That's it.... maybe they don't like your hot weather??