09 July 2011

thymes

I took my two potted Thyme plants, which were getting rather scraggly
 and gave them each a trim. Clippings hung up to dry. The one in the red pot has been sitting on the brick outside on my porch with other herbs; the one in the white pot lives indoors in the windowsill and is trying to look like a miniature tree. Or at least, I'm trying to make it look like one. You can tell it doesn't get quite enough sun; the leaves are spread further apart on the stems so it looks kinda leggy.
Outside the two that got planted directly into the garden are doing much better. They also look prettier here because I sprayed them with water before taking the picture to knock some dust off the leaves. It's too hard to see the small plants against background of dirt so I stuck a white box lid behind them for the photos.
Come winter I'll experiment a bit. I'll cut down one of these plants and leave it be, mulch or cover the other one with a bucket to protect from snow.
The red-potted one will come inside for winter. Then I'll see which looks better in spring. If it's the ones in the garden, I'll plant them all out permanently (except for the tree-imitator). If the one brought inside flourishes more, I'll dig up the others come fall and overwinter them indoors...

No comments: