05 July 2011

sunflors

I didn't get many Sunflowers to grow. I have one nice tall plant on the southeast end of the row
and five shorter plants that get smaller the further north you go down the row. I think it's because they get less sun on that end, from trees shading the plots.
I was disappointed it wasn't going to make a nice wall of sunflowers flanking my garden, but then luckily looked back at how they did the year before, because I remember planting them late. So glad I keep track here! Last year's sunflowers got planted at the end of june, and I had flowers in september. So with fingers crossed yesterday I poked more sunflower seeds into the ground to fill gaps in the row. We'll see if they sprout and flourish.

I also sowed some more Cilantro seed among my hot pepper plants, as all the volunteers have bolted, flowered and are gone to seed. None of the earlier sowed seed grew; if these don't either I figure my saved seed wasn't good for some reason.

No comments: