23 December 2010

avocado update

I'm almost surprised my three Avocado plants are still doing well. The mudroom is unheated so I moved them into the living room for the winter, where there's not quite as much light but they won't get chilled. The largest one its stem is getting so thick and the original pit disintegrating so you can hardly see the original avocado it grew from anymore. Here's a picture of the three of them in their new corner.
The second one, which actually has the largest leaves right now, was looking so cramped in its pot I moved it to a bigger one. It's always so odd repotting the Avocados; holding the pit in palm of one hand to tip them out of the pot you can feel all the vibrations from knocking it about, through the strong coiling roots into the pit in your hand; it really makes the thing feel alive! Once in its new pot I noticed it's actually as big as the first plant, now.
The third one needs a bigger pot too, but I don't have another on hand yet.

No comments: