10 November 2010

green goods

I have been neglecting the garden again, but it still plugs along. Today in spite of their terrible appearance, my older Broccoli plants yielded up this harvest
 Even though most of the heads are still small, I got more than I expected. I ought to go out and pick bugs, though. In cleaning and trimming the broccoli I picked off these familiar (but one still un-identified) pests
and after a good washing in my largest bowl and two thorough rinsings, drowned five more green caterpillars (from the cabbage moth I'm certain). I'm guessing that's also why my plants look sad and make small heads, because they're too plauged by bugs!
 The younger Broccolis that I started this fall are growing strong,
and only a few getting bothering by slugs or something
but I'm still not sure if they'll produce before snowfall. I know we're going to have a more mild winter this year. Crossing my fingers. Maybe I'll build a coldframe over them.

No comments: