01 September 2010

basil pesto!

I made three half-pint-ish size jars of Basil pesto to freeze. Cut down my two biggest plants, the ones I grew from the grocery store, ha. Every year my husband wants basil before the plants are big enough, so he gets some of the live plants you can get at the supermarket, with roots in a bit of water in a bag. I always plant them outside in the garden, and they look terribly sad for a bit but I prop them up and pretty soon the plants recover and grow abundantly.

Anyhow, here's what it looked like outside earlier today
before I cut them and brought inside the house.
The most tedious part of this job is picking all the nice leaves off the plants. Then I gently wash them and lay out on towels to dry while getting the other ingredients ready.
Last time I did this I used my blender, and it was very messy! This year (thanks to my sister!) I had a food processor, which was a lot easier to use, and tidier.

2 comments:

chrisa511 said...

Hi Isa! :) yum!! That pesto looks so delicious!! And look at all of that basil that you have this year! Crazy!

Jeane said...

And that's only half of the basil, can you believe it? I've got more to do yet!