01 August 2010

indoor plants

I've propped up in my mudroom some boards with an old shelf atop them, to make a ledge so my plants can sit near the window where the best light is.
One one end I've placed these little pots of trailing plant matter
set on top of glass cloches behind the pot of Mint (which looks sad because we ate some of it recently).
I don't know what this trailing plant is called. It's a groundcover, and looks kind of like a succulent to me. It grows in long runners that root down at intervals. I'm starting to not like how it looks in my front flowerbed, because it's the same pale-green color as new crabgrass, so every time I glance over I think oh no, there's more crabgrass in the bed! But then I wondered if it would make a nice trailing houseplant, and as there's so much of it I didn't mind experimenting. We'll see. It usually goes dormant in the cold and comes back in spring; what will it do inside? (if I knew its name I could just look this up! anyone know what it is?).

On the other side of my shelf is Isa's little plant experiment. It's from this Green book she has; supposed to demonstrate how acid rain and pollutants affect plants by watering each with a different concentration of clean water, or with varying levels of vinegar in the water. She's excited already to be seeing results that after one day of watering, the poor little Marigold getting the most vinegar is already looking sad.
And in the middle is my big Avocado plant.
Look how much the new young leaves are growing! They reach out sideways in a funny arching motion.
On the other side of the room, atop my shelf I've got a few pots starting some indoor Cilantro, as it's too hot outside and none of the planted seeds are germinating. I was curious to see if they grow better from fresh seed just picked off the plant, or from the ones that had been chilled in the fridge. So I've marked them.

1 comment:

Jeane said...

I've found the name of the little crawling plant. It's called goldmoss, and it's a sedum. It likes dry soil. I'm thinking of digging some up and moving it to under my frontyard trees, where almost nothing will grow.