20 April 2010

volunteers

I've dug up some of the volunteer Tomatoes from the beet and carrot patches (where heirlooms grew last year)

selected the largest ones

and set them into this year's tomato plot. I figure they're either from seeds planted last year that didn't germinate until now, or from tomatoes that fell off the plant and spoilt a bit before I cleaned them up. Either way, they're already bigger than my new seedlings in the coldframe.
If they survive, I'll plant the largest new-seedlings alongside them. If not, they're already replaced. But I remember last year, the volunteer tomatoes I saved tasted just as good as the other ones.

Growing among the young carrots is this hearty Sunflower. Dug that one up and moved it to the corner of the garden, where it has room to get taller.
Moved the one surviving overwintered Swiss Chard plant (also the biggest so far)

from its spot in the raised bed

to sit among the newer chards, all in a row.

No comments: