26 April 2010

pretty

Under and around the clematis is this pretty groundcover/bush (I don't know the name) with light leaves that have pale edges. I never saw it flower before. In fact, I saw some in someone else's yard just last week with flowers and thought why doesn't mine do that? But now there are tiny pale blue-violet flowers scattered here and there.
This plant is spreading, all across the back under the trees, against the fence. I haven't been trying to keep it in check yet, as I'm still not sure what to plant back there, but eventually want some kind of landscaping instead of straggly grass (where it's hard to mow) and weeds. I think the first thing to do is cut down/dig up all the volunteer maples...

2 comments:

Cath said...

Again... I'm not sure as it looks slightly different to ours - possibly because it's variegated - but I think that might be periwinkle. Pretty though, isn't it?

Jeane said...

Periwinkle, hm.... I looked it up. The flowers are remarkably similar, but the leaves look different to me. This one is spreading rapidly, though, and the stuff I saw online says periwinkle can be invasive. I like the name! It sounds pretty.