22 April 2010

more hosta!

So last year I planted four Hosta in the front beds, one on each corner. I thought only two had come up this spring but wasn't too sad, just happy a few were still alive. But after last night's rain I toured the garden to admire how straight and tall all the plants stand, their leaves washed clean and jeweled with water droplets. And found these two final Hosta, one hidden in a clump of weedy stems (which I yanked out)

and the other obscured behind some fading tulips.

So they are all still here! I think hosta will become the stalwart plant of my front yard, if I can afford to put more in. They come up right behind the tulips, and if I can get them through the summer will keep foliage in the beds all through fall.

2 comments:

Cath said...

I like the blue variety and we have quite a lot of that. The slugs don't seem to like that one quite as much as the others.

Jeane said...

I like the solid-colored ones better, too, but my garden center only had this variety. So far the slugs haven't discovered it (or are enjoying other plants nearby more!)