04 March 2010

onion woes

The biggest Onion is looking so terrible I decided I had to do something, or just throw it away. So I trimmed off all the leaves that had shriveled, and took it out of its pot, washed the dirt off the roots. Even though they hadn't filled the space yet, the roots were very long and some had turned and begun to come out at the surface of the soil. Plus there was a worm in the dirt- I threw him outside. Then put the Onion over a jar of water, just like the happy smallest one is. Just to see what happens- will it recover?

The smallest one is leaning so much towards the window when I turned it around, it fell right over. Even the roots are crowding against that side of the jar- I didn't know they would do that. So I've turned it and propped up as best I could, until it starts leaning back towards the light. Then I'll rotate it a little bit every day, so it stays straight.

No comments: