04 March 2010

chickadee

I was reading with interest this post on another gardening blog yesterday, about chickadees using nesting tubes. And then this morning looked out the front window and guess what I saw? A pair of chickadees checking out a hole near the top of the broken lamp post. They went in and out, in and out, then flew away. I wonder if the pole is hollow all the way down? or is there something in there that would support nesting? Even if they did settle in, probably would be disturbed too soon, as the lamp post is right next to the walk that approaches the front door. I've been thinking for a while about removing that lamp post, and replacing it with a solar-powered one (so I don't have to mess with fixing the wiring). If I do, I won't throw away the old post, but move it to a quieter spot in the backyard and see if the birds do use it. That would be such a thrill.

No comments: