06 March 2010

avocado split

The first Avocado pit I skewered with toothpicks and suspended over water is just beginning to crack- it's the darker line going up the middle, here. I've put it on a smaller jar because it was getting stinky; changed the water to fresh and no longer see mold.

I have a second one that is already growing much faster. About two weeks ago took a forgotten half an avocado out of the fridge to throw away, and found within the blackened fruit the pit had begin to split open. So I put that one on water in the little green jar. Now it's split even more, and a root is emerging! The main crack has almost gone entirely through the pit, and two more are starting, at ninety degrees to the first one (where my fingers are holding it). The whole thing is quartering itself.

If you look very closely, can see a nub deep inside, above the root, which I believe will soon push up and become the leaves.

This is so exciting I have put a third Avocado pit over a baby jar of water.

(The other skewered pit, in my daughter's room, has not begun to crack at all. I think it's because she wants it near the window, where it is rather cold. Mine are kept on top of a shelf near the heat vent, where it stays warm).

No comments: