16 January 2018

shrimp pics and snails

My older amano shrimps are almost constantly berried now. Here's one from above. I can't imagine keeping the tank without them anymore- I'd like to have them in the window tank but Perry would probably eat them!
The three malaya shrimp are getting very dark in color. I don't know if that means something about their age or health...
I have a feeling the two nerites in my main tank are getting old... At the pet store today to get some food, I picked up two more zebra nerites. With some trepidation as in a few of the tanks I saw some fish with signs of ich... . . one of the prior outbreaks in my tank occured the day after bringing home snails from a pet shop so I have suspicions the disease can be carried on snails. However, snails don't develop the cysts (I think) and the free-swimming stage dies after 48 hours if it doesn't find a fish host.
So to be safe I've put my new snails in a QT plastic tote with some aquatic moss and about a gallon of water. I acclimated them usual method and then plucked out of the shop bag to place in the water- no shop water into the tote. I put the tote on top of the fridge for warmth. Going to give it small water changes daily and move the snails to my tank at end of the week.

No comments: