03 October 2017

plants in the main

I'm noticing more changes since I took out those large apono crispus. (Cool weather is the best to ship plants- I mailed subwassertang trimmings to someone today -the bunch that had been in my fry box- and next week after sending out the last two aponos I'll be getting a few new plants myself.) Removal of the aponos has caused more black algae spots to crop up on buce and larger anubias. I took out the last of the buces this past friday. After removing the algae-riddled leaves, half of it (it was one smallish cluster that easily divided into four plants) went into the window tank, half into my tenner where they seem to do best. Thinking of doing the same with anubias afzelii and anubias congensis...
Also removed the last, smallest crypt retrospiralis- I want a clear view of the bolbitis fronds on the driftwood from the short end of the tank. They are getting quite a bit taller. I shone a light from the side during my last maintenance trim, so I could see where the fronds were blackened with algae- older leaves I assume- and I trimmed those all out.
The two bolbitis pieces I experimentally put in the window tank don't look so happy- at least, they are not doing anything. No growth, no obvious decay either. But the larger rhizomes and fronds I put in this main tank- they all have new fiddleheads coming up! I am so happy. You can just see one here in the center of the photo, above the subwassertang.
I love fiddlheads. Here's a tiny one coming off the java fern 'windelov', has just uncurled:
My other windelov in here is starting to 'walk' off the anchor stone.
It happens to be right next to those flat pebbles of flame moss, which are still doing poorly but might recover now they have more light. I trimmed them back, waiting to see. Meanwhile, I could just push one of those pebbles next to the windelov, let its rhizome creep over and cling of its own accord. Then cut between the two and have a new windelov piece... Behind those pebbles are the new stems of hygro corymbosa I planted. I'm waiting to see what shape the new leaf growth has. If it keeps different form than the other, I'll assume my older plants are hygro polysperma? (I'm not the only one confused about this- found several forum conversations where people are trying to figure out exactly which form of hygrophila their 'temple plant' is. Maybe it's a hybrid).
Here's another pic of it- original hygro thicket in the rear, new stem planting in front of it.
And here's one that show the bolbitis fronds:
I've noticed with removal of those aponogetons, there is better current in the tank. I think the long leaves were obstructing the flow! More plants sway gently now, and I hadn't seen that effect in a long time. Also elodea is showing much better color than it has in a long time, and hornwort on the surface is growing long, nicely spaced needles again. I don't know how the apono leaves could have kept light from hornwort, as the stems floated above them. I suppose they were simply competing for nutrients.

My fish seem to appreciate the more open space to swim around in. But they also seem to feel a bit exposed- when I walk near the tank they bunch up, all dart off in the same direction. Seem to feel the need to stick together now. I actually like seeing that- it is pretty to see the fish moving together in tighter group. I hope they don't feel too distressed with the increase of open space, and do intent to plant more apono capuronii, crypt balansae and a few other plants soon, which I hope will fill it back in (without being overwhelming like the apono crispus where).
Last pic: a quick overhead shot I took of the left corner, when the tank was lit with a bedside lamp I set up to see better while trimming.

No comments: