13 April 2017

young herbs

Cilantro have grown significantly since I put them into real potting soil a week ago-
and ferny dill is standing taller.
It's still too cold for the basil to be outside overnight, but I have moved them out of the seedling tray into individual pots.
One of the basil seedlings is oddly lanky, thinner than the others. I rubbed its leaf for the scent, to be sure it was a basil and not a weed!
What takes very little care: mints. I cleaned up the mint pots last week, ripping out dead foliage and old stems, tearing up long runners that were circling the rims. I can be rough with it- it crowds itself out and will bounce back easy. I really ought to upend them and trim the root mass, but haven't yet. That one above is the chocolate mint.
This one is the spearmint. See the sneaky weed?
Pulled-
It almost fooled me, but later I came back and noticed the growth pattern was different- a rosette- again I rubbed and smelled the leaf, not a mint!

No comments: