15 January 2014

shocky?

Flash does not look well. I tested his water and there is nothing wrong with the levels. I thought perhaps removal of his planted lid threw off the balance, as of course it used to take up Nitrates, but those are still below ten. Then I thought perhaps he is feeling insecure and exposed without the roots to hide among, so I added a plastic plant.
He is still looking poorly this morning, holding his dorsal fin pinched and caudal slightly clamped. Only when at rest. If I approach the bowl he opens his fins with interest and approaches like usual. Eats fine, too. Displays excitedly if he catches a glimpse of the other betta.
I suppose it could be a bit cold- the weather has warmed enough that my heat doesn't turn on quite as frequently, but Pinkie right next to him looks just fine.

I don't know what else could be wrong- I did a partial water change this morning but don't know what else to do for him. He shows no other signs of illness- no spots or fungus or abnormalities on the body. The oldest injury on caudal peduncle is nearly healed- I can hardly see it- and the other two are improving as well.
I would feel better if he were in a proper heated filtered tank, but that's just not a possibility right now though I am planning for it.

In other news, my daughter's betta Hector has moved into his new home - a five-gallon tank- a few days ago. I am keeping his gallon bowl around for a few weeks in case something goes wrong and we have to move him out again. But once he looks settled and the small tank very stable (so far water parameters look good) I am getting rid of the fishbowl so that we won't be tempted to house any more fish in it!

No comments: