19 September 2011

reviving

My Rhubarb seems to have revivied with the cooler fall weather and abundant rain.
It just really doesn't like our summer heat. I still need to weed its patch, though. Hopefully I can eat more of it next spring! but I'm trying to think how to better treat it so it can get through the summers okay. More water, shade, mulch?

I've finally gotten around to cleaning out my Strawberry patch, which was full of weeds (mostly sorrel and bindweed). The plants have grown back a lot since I cut them short after fruiting, but they've also gotten chewed on by the slugs a lot. One of them looks almost dead.
This one on the end is doing best. I think it's the one I put coffee-grounds around, which repels the slugs...

2 comments:

chrisa511 said...

I wish I could grow rhubarb :( It just refuses to grow....

Jeane said...

Too hot, I bet. Even where I am, the summers are way too hot for it. I barely pull it through each season.