02 July 2010

more cleanup

The pretty Petunias in my front-porch pots died. We had a week of temperatures over ninety degrees, which dried them up even though I watered every single day. Then a thunderstorm which beat them to tatters.
Now after cutting and pulling out all the dead stems, only one plant is left alive. I've potted it up on the side porch, where it will get more close attention.
My little pot of Mint is there on the brick, too, and my baby Avocado tree. Its leaves were looking very droopy so I did some research and learned that avocados don't like to have wet feet. I'd probably been watering it a bit too often. They like to dry out completely between drinks, and they like lots of sun. So I've been putting it outside in the sun during the day. Already the leaves seem to be lifting a bit.

The Peas have been looking terrible, all dried up and pale, so today I yanked most of them out. There were still some full pods on the plants, but they had a bitter taste so just got tossed.
A few shorter plants still look okay, I left them in but probably not for long.

No comments: