21 April 2010

sick?

I think I've done harm to my largest avocado. I went to change the water, dumped the whole thing out and refilled fresh. But either I bumped the taproot in the process, or it sat too long between water changes, because half the root has become brown, and it looks like mold is growing. Dismay. The stem doesn't seem to have grown any since, either. I feel bad to have this one fail, as it grew so well from the start. But if it does, there's four more steadily coming along, and I'll know better how to treat them...

Funny, there are little bumps all along the taproot, which I thought at first would become more roots. But they did nothing, more roots have grown out of the base instead. Is it sick? or are those bumps not supposed to become roots?

4 comments:

Cath said...

You know... that looks like something out of a particularly weird sci fi movie. LOL.

Jeane said...

Ha ha. It does look freaky-odd, doesn't it?

Jen said...

Jeane,
First, I am super jealous of your garden, and some day I want to be just like you. Second I just today started an avocado in my window. My sources say you should plant them in a 8-6inch pot when the roots get to be about 3inches long. So maybe it started to rot because you left it in water too long?

Jeane said...

Jen- thanks! Maybe you're right. I read a lot who said to plant it in soil after the stem is six inches tall and has been pruned once. I did think that was a long time to leave it in water, though. My second one the root has just reached about three inches, so maybe I'll pot that one up and hope for better results!