03 March 2010

spider plants

I've bought a Spider Plant! My mom always had one in the house, and I've wanted to get one- I know they do well in indirect light, which we have lots of. And they clean the air. So when I saw one at the nursery (buying seeds) at half price, I brought it home. It was really quite sad-looking. It had one baby, which already had a thick knot of dry roots at its base, in the empty air. I immediately potted up the baby.

This morning when I inspected the mature plant, found it was incredibly root-bound.

It's actually a clump of four smaller plants. I divided them and put into a larger pot. (The only other hanging pot I have).

As I didn't want to put the baby in too big a pot until it grows, I just nested its small pot inside the hanging one the original plant had come in, so they can both be suspended.

Right now they look very silly- small scraggly plants in too-large containers. But it's the best I could do, and hopefully soon they will fill out. Even though they appear awkward, it still makes me happy to look at them. With all this growing indoors, its the first plant I've actually spent money on!

No comments: