21 March 2019

swimmers!

My angelfish fry are quickly becoming free-swimming. Yesterday just two were lifting off the leaf and hovering around, today it's nearly all. I count thirteen, maybe there's fourteen (yes, very small number of survivors I know). It's quickly become very amusing to watch the parents constantly collecting the wandering fry and spitting them back on the leaf- as soon as they do, a few more swim off and must be retrieved. Skye is definitely getting most of the food right now because the female only takes a few bites before going back to check on the babies. Once she had begun collecting fry (three or four in her mouth) when a food bit fell in front of her and she went to grab it, stopped herself, tried again, paused, took the babies back to the leaf, saw more that needed to be retrieved- never did come for that bite (Skye got it).

Quite a few babies get propelled up by the filter outflow to the surface where they lurk and cling among the pothos roots. I can't tell if they're feeding off biofilm there or not. I thought they would feed off the filter sponge but nope. Or not yet. I do have hikari first bites and gold pearls- but even that might need to be crushed further. I know micro worms or brine shrimp would be better- but didn't get any yet. I do see tiny specks moving around against current in the tank, so I know there's microorganisms- whether enough to feed this tiny batch of fry for a while, not sure.

My seven-year-old is delighted. She smiles broadly and is careful to approach the tank without bouncing, and says "oh Mom, I'm so happy for you. I'm so happy for your angelfish!" I hate to tell her they probably won't make it, or I might end up feeding the fry to my paradise fishes. If I notice defects like Skye's bent dorsal fin . . . I also feel kinda weird about the fact that my angelfish parents are siblings. If I'm going to let them breed, wouldn't it be better if they weren't related.

Meanwhile though, it is really wonderful to see them. The tiny nearly-translucent fry are just a pair of eyes, a stomach and a wiggly tail. Hilariously cute, and so endearing to see the parents tending them.

No comments: