05 April 2016

freeze

My yard will look funny tomorrow morning. I was suddenly reminded it is predicted to freeze. I don't want to loose any of my young plants, or my short-term lettuce, or my new perennials that probably aren't quite settled into the ground yet. So I covered the garden plots with sheets. I blanketed my lilac, daylilies, geranium, dianthus, rhubarb and peony with a thick layer of leaf mulch. In addition I laid a large pillowcase flat over the rhubarb, and popped another over the peony. I covered the outdoor echeveria, geranium and dianthus around the mailbox, and all the new bedding plants in the back yard with large upended pots, buckets and a few cardboard boxes. All to protect foliage from freeze. In the morning I will gather up all the covers and see who survived.
I had to cut the flower stalks off the brunnera to get it to fit under a pot, so now have a pretty little bouquet in the house.

In terms of seedlings and young plants, I brought indoors everything from the coldframe house, except for some recently-potted up mock strawberries out of the yard (there's plenty more where those came from) and the experimentally potted up weeds (featured in an upcoming post). The jugs of plants I really don't want to loose- borage, echinacea, cosmos- I brought indoors. Others that are less important because I already have plenty growing or they might be tougher (marigold, broccoli), I moved off the deck and into the coldframe. Curious to see if the double protection of jug plastic and coldframe plastic walls will keep them from succumbing to the freeze.

No comments: